If you know me, you know I love to make things clear.
If you know me, you know I don’t like repeating myself.
So, if you know me, you will know this is a blog post to clarify that my plan to leave Handong International School (HIS) after this year should NOT be a shock and that it’s something I’ve been thinking of since the first year I taught here.
In fact, it would be a shock (especially to me!) if I stayed here longer.
Two years ago, I had no idea I was going to stay at HIS for three years.
Here’s how I came to teach at HIS:
- I quit my job in Seoul. Didn’t have anything concrete to do next.
- Watched a documentary called Father of Lights: was convinced that the Holy Spirit was going to lead the next step.
- Literally minutes after that meditation, I got a phonecall from Prof. J asking me whether I was interested in being a part-time teacher at HIS.
- The next day, I said yes.
Here’s how I decided to teach for 3 years at HIS:
- During year 1 of teaching, I realized two things:
- If I want to know what teaching is really about, I need to stay longer.
- I really like the people I work with. All of them.
- For some unknown reason, 3 years appeared to be a good number. Everyone I knew agreed with this number.
Now here I am, on my third year of teaching. I have learned and am learning so much! I love my kids! I love my co-workers!
I’m straining a bit too much having to keep so many relationships (teaching ~150 kids is no small business for a mega introvert like me. My introvert-meter is about to burn.)
It’s getting too comfortable. (TCKs might understand this symptom.)
And I remember I said 3 years.
Now, if God tells me directly: “STAY!”, I will stay.
However, I highly doubt this will happen.
So, until further ado, I am planning on leaving HIS after this year. (Who knows, I might still be in Pohang, or be anywhere else in the world. It’s not up to my planning. It’s up to my God.)
So please, PLEASE don’t be shocked to hear I am most likely not going to teach at HIS next year. Be shocked if I say I changed my mind and am staying here for a longer period of time.